Maruekatayawan Palace is one of the oldest and most attractive royal palaces in Thailand.
The Maruekatayawan Palace was constructed by His Majesty King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) in 1923 as a place where he could fully relax in great comfort amid a naturally serene atmosphere.
The architectural design of the raised-floor wooden palace, with its three sections facing the sea, was drafted by the Monarch himself.
Following the completion of the interior decoration in 1924, the King gave it his first visit and stay. His last visit to this seaside palace was made only a few months before his demise in 1925.
This palace is noted for three two - storeyed wooden pavilions facing the sea, and is referred to as "the palace of love and hope". Series of halls are linked together throughout the palace. Residential halls of the royal consort members are located on the right wing. The central group of halls which is the royal residence consist of royal sitting and relaxing rooms, accommodations for close royal servants called Phisan Sakhon Hall, and the reading room.
In addition, Samoson Sewakamat Hall, a two-storey open pavilion, is used as a meeting place, and sometimes as a theater. Two important dramas were shown on this stage in 1941 : "Phra Ruang" and "Wiwah Phra Samut". Chao Phraya Ramrakhop ordered a statue of King Vajiravudh, as a royal dedication, to be enshrined in the hall of Marukhathaiyawan Palace. An annual rite is conducted on November 25, the aniversary of King Vajiravudh's death.
This is one of the many attractive places in Thailand that is a must to visit. This teakwood treasure (known for convenience as "The Wooden Palace") stands on Hua Hin beachfront and, now restored. It is proudly billed as "The Longest Golden Teak Palace in the World". This palace is only a few minutes by car from Hua Hin.
The palace is open to the public daily from 08.00-16.00. Entrance fee: adults 30bath, children 15bath.
Klai Kangwon Palace
Graciously built in 1927 beside Hua Hin Beach by King Prajadhipok, RamaVII, Klai Kangwon Palace served as an alternative summer palace for His Majesty and Queen Rampai Phanee.
The building was built in Spanish-style-architecture with a façade overlooking the sea. Designed with a European architectural feel, the original name was "Suan Klai Kang Won" and "Phra Tamnak Piamsuk", meaning "The Garden Far From Worries" and "The Royal Residence Full of Happiness".
Besides the royal residence and beautifully manicured omamental gardens full of kinds of plants and objects d'art from Java, one must also be sure to see the beautiful collection of shells in the shell museum.
This palace involved in historic event during the time of change of the country's regime in 1932. While the King Rama VII was staying in Klai Kangwon Palace, the People's Party, which was demanding that the country's government be changed from absolute monarchy to democracy, sent three battle ships to the palace to deliver the message from the People's Party to the King. The King has accepted the demand and returned to Bangkok. The King Rama VII was then the last monarch under the absolute monarchy, an then onwards Thailand is under the constitutional monarchy.
Palace is still used as a summer palace by the present monarch King Bhumipol Aduldej and Queen Sirikitt. On April 29,1950, the couple came to Klai Kangwon Palace for a 5-day honeymoon. The palace was to become the King's head office, where he would initiate countless projects.
Phra Nakhon Kriri Historical Park or Khao Wang
This hill originally called Khao Samana or Khao Khiri, is located in the vicinity of Amphoe Muang Phetchaburi. The peak is 92 meters high. King Mongkut, Rama IV of the present dynasty, saw this hill and was so fond of the location that he gave an order to Phraya Phet Nisai Sisawat, Chief Administrative Officer of Muang Phetchaburi , to carry out the construction of a palace which he could use during his picnic trip. The construction was completed in the year 1860. It was named by the royal command, Phra Nakhon Khiri, But folks of Phetchaburi commonly call it Khao Wang (Palace Hill) until now.
Phra Nakhon Khiri comprises royal halls, palaces, wats, and groups of buildings. The complex which was constructed mostly of harmonious Western neoclassic and Chinese architecture tops the following 3 large mountains : Eastern mountaintop, location of a hillside temple called Wat Maha Samanaram within the rite hall of which there are mural paintings by Khrua In Khong, a renowned painter in Thai history.
The wat dates back to Ayutthaya period. Another temple, Wat Phra Kaew, tops the mountain as royal temple of Phra Nakhon Khiri, a resemblance to Wat Phra Si Rattana Maha Satsadaram (the Temple of the Emerald Buddha) which stands as royal temple of the Grand Palace, Bangkok.
Middle mountaintop, location of a 40 meters high chedi called Phra That Chom Phet inside of which the Buddha's relic had been placed. From here, a wide view of buildings on another 2 nearby mountaintops as well as Phetchaburi's provincial city can be seen.
Western mountaintop, location of royal residence complex including Phra Thi Nang Phet Phum Phairot, Phra Thi Nang Pramot Mahaisawan, Phra Thi Nang Wetchayan Wichian Prasat, Phra Thi Nang Ratcha Tham Sapha, Ho Chatchawan Wiang Chai, Ho Phiman Phet Mahesuan, Tamnak Santhakhan Sathan, Ho Chatuwet Parit Phot and Sala Thatsana Nakkhataroek. There are also several other buildings which are typical of palaces within the complex such as garage, stable, Sala Mahat Lek (royal page hall), Sala Lukkhun (official hall), Sala Dan (post), Sala Yenchai (hall for relaxation), Thim Dap (bodyguard rooms), and kitchen.4 forts stand at the 4 corners of the complex, each was named in rhyme starting with Thatarot Pongpok in the east. Wirunhok borirak in the south, Wirupak Pongkan in the west, and Wetsuwan Raksa in the north.
Some parts of the complex on this western mountain top were altered into Phra nakhon Khiri National Museum where priceless antiques such as King Rame IV's and King Rama V's paraphernalia, bronze and brass sculptures used for decorative purposes in several rooms of various buildings, and ceramics from China, Japan, and Europe are put on exhibition. The museum is open daily between 9.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m. except Monday and Tuesday. Admission Bt 40 each. Phra Nakhon Khiri Historical Park is open everyday between 8.30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. Admission Bt20. The mountaintop palaces are accessible either o foot or by cable railway which charge Bt10 each for one-way and Bt15 each for round trip.
This palace, originally called Ban Pued Palace, was located at Tambon Ban Mo, Amphoe Muang Changwat Phetchaburi. King Chulachomklao, Rama V, desired to have it built as a rainy season palace with his own money. The plot of land was bought from a villager and the design was made by a German, Mr.Karl Deurring. Admiral HRH Prince Boriphat of Nakhonsawan HRH Prince Damrony were assigned to monitor the construction. The palace is of European design and construction began in 1909 and completed in 1916. The palace was named during the reign of king Rama VI as Son Phetch Prasat Palace. The name was changed to be Phraram Raatchaniwet in the year 1918 when it was used as palace to welcome and accommodate state visitors.