Hua Hin Klai Kangwon Palace
Klai Kangwon Palace
Graciously built in 1927 beside Hua Hin Beach by King Prajadhipok, RamaVII, Klai Kangwon Palace served as an alternative summer palace for His Majesty and Queen Rampai Phanee.
The building was built in Spanish-style-architecture with a façade overlooking the sea. Designed with a European architectural feel, the original name was "Suan Klai Kang Won" and "Phra Tamnak Piamsuk", meaning "The Garden Far From Worries" and "The Royal Residence Full of Happiness".
Besides the royal residence and beautifully manicured omamental gardens full of kinds of plants and objects d'art from Java, one must also be sure to see the beautiful collection of shells in the shell museum.
This palace involved in historic event during the time of change of the country's regime in 1932. While the King Rama VII was staying in Klai Kangwon Palace, the People's Party, which was demanding that the country's government be changed from absolute monarchy to democracy, sent three battle ships to the palace to deliver the message from the People's Party to the King. The King has accepted the demand and returned to Bangkok. The King Rama VII was then the last monarch under the absolute monarchy, an then onwards Thailand is under the constitutional monarchy.
Palace is still used as a summer palace by the present monarch King Bhumipol Aduldej and Queen Sirikitt. On April 29,1950, the couple came to Klai Kangwon Palace for a 5-day honeymoon. The palace was to become the King's head office, where he would initiate countless projects.