Prasat Nakhon Luang
This imposing riverside structure in Amphoe Nakhon Luang was used as royal accommodation by late Ayutthaya-period monarchs during trip to lop Buri and the Buddha's Footprint Shrine in Saraburi.
Bang Pa-In Summer Palace
Half an hour south of Ayutthaya, (58km north of Bangkok), Bang Pa-In is the site of a riverside summer palace formerly popular with late Ayutthaya period monarchs and early kings of the present Chakri Dynasty.
Originally, the riverine island was used by the Ayutthayan monarch, Prasat Thong (reign: 1630 - 1655) as a summer residence, and by every Ayutthayan Monarch thereafter. WhenBangkok became the new Thai capital in 1782, Bang Pa-In remained deserted for 80 years. King Rama IV (Reign: 1851 - 1868) stayed there and had a residence constructed in the old palace compound. His son, King Chulalongkorn (Reign: 1868 - 1910) liked the plaace, and stayed there every year, largely constructing the royal palace, a collection of Thai, European and Chinese-style buildings, as it is seen today.
The palace is open everyday from 8:30am until 3:30pm. Admission is 50Baht.
This lovely classic Thai-style pavilion in the centre of an ornamental lake is one of Thailand's best-known landmarks. Originally built of wood during the reign of King Rama V, the structure was reinforced with concrete pillars and floor by his son, King Vajiravudh (reign: 1910 - 1926).
Utthayan Phumisathian Hall
The current wooden structure is a faithful reproduction of the original, which burned down in 1938.
Wehat Chamrun Hall
Reside in the dwelling during Cool Season visits.
Warophat Phiman Hall
Formerly a wooden, two-storey building used as a throne hall, and royal residence, the present European-style throne hall was constructed by King Rama V. The hall contains several historical paintings, and some of popular Thai literature, including the epic Ramakian, and I-nao.
The tower-like structure, essenlially a three-storey- bllilding with a spiral staircase, was used by King Raffia V as a vantage point during his periodic visits.
Queen Sunantha Monument
This memorial to the consort of Rama V who died tragically during a boating accident at Bang Pa-In contains the queen ashes and relics.
Wat Niwet Thammaprawat
This riverine island Buddhist temple was constructed, at the command of King Rama V during 1878, in the style of an English Gothic church. The structure's stained glass windows and unusual architecture make it one of the most distinctive Buddhist temples anywhere in Thailand .
Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts & Crafts Centre
This 14-acre riverside complex in Ayutthaya's Bang Sai district is under the Foundation of Supplementary Occupations and Related Techniques (SUPPORT) which was established under royal patronage during 1976.
The centre trains farmers from Ayutthaya, and other provinces, in folk arts and crafts. Visitors to the centre can see how such crafts are produced. They include: fern vine basketry, basketry weaving, artificial silk flowers, hand-woven silks and cottons, silk dyeing, wood carving, miniature hand-made Thai dolls, furniture making, textile products.
All such products are sold at the Bang Sai Centre, and in every branch of Chitralada Shops nationwide.
The Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts und Crafts Centre is open every day from 8.30 AM until 4.30 PM. There are no demonstrations on Monday. Admission is 20 baht. Bang Sai can be conveniently reached by public transport from the Northern Bus Terminal on Bangkok's Phaholyothin Road. Buses depart every 30 minutes from 5:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Tickets are 25 Baht by airconditioned bus, and 17 Baht by ordinary buses.